Re: Problem accessing Exchange Server remotely using Outlook

  • From: "Craig Weil" <craig_weil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 12:21:57 -0700

Having an odd issue with that myself.

We have DSL service with multiple IP addresses assigned to it.  One IP
address is assigned to our Exchange 2000 server, one of the IP addresses is
assigned to a Netopia router which then provides NAT addressing to our users
in the building. With that said, any computer that is either receving a NAT
address from the Netopia or any computer with a routable IP in the same
subnet as the Exchange server can retrieve email from Exchange 2000 with no
problem.  However, any computer outside our building cannot connect to our
Exchange server via IMAP, but can via OWA.  DNS queries against Exchange
from outside the building work fine.  Any ideas?  It's almost as if our DSL
modem suddenly decided to start filtering, but it's a standard SpeedStream
modem provided by SBC (PacBell).

An interesting twist... from outside of our building, if you establish a VPN
connection with our Netopia router, you can access Exchange via Outlook
(IMAP).  All machines connecting via POP3 from outside our building receive
their email as well (vpn or not).  Kinda getting me nutty!

Thanks all!

Craig A. Weil