Re: ProLiant Server

  • From: Phillip Newberry <phillip_newberry@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "\[ExchangeList\]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2006 11:42:23 -0800 (PST)

I've been in this profession for a while and honestly
what annoys me is people like yourself labeling the
last network person like you have in the following

"The previous administrator was a person with little
> computer knowledge and
> I'm certain the Proliant was not set up properly. He
> convinced the President
> of the school to get just the Standard version of
> SBS 2003."

Since you don't know much about SBS, why do you think
it was set up wrong?

I think you should hire a Microsoft certified
consultant, whom has current certifications with MCSE
and Exchange, to help you do the install if you really
care for the quality of the work being done in this
project.  Otherwise you should be honest with the
school and let them know you may have issues after you
complete the project.

Question that come to mind is...

Why are you thinking you need to reinstall?  What
errors or experience do you see?  Why do you think it
can not be repaired?

Sorry for being so blunt.

--- hardor1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> http://www.MSExchange.org/
>
> Happy New Year and Thanks for all the input.
>
>  To explain, I am 73 and (semi retired) helping a
> new Community School get
> off the ground and happen to have some computer
> skills they need. My pay is
> reward in doing a good job and helping the
> Community. So you see, I have to
> get by on help from friendly people like yourselves
> to get this thing in
> proper operation.
>
> I originally got to this exchangelist through the
> article printed by Amit
> Zinman whose article on Sep 22, 2004 offered a
> tutorial on the SBS 2003.
>
> The previous administrator was a person with little
> computer knowledge and
> I'm certain the Proliant was not set up properly. He
> convinced the President
> of the school to get just the Standard version of
> SBS 2003. Therefore, what
> I am trying to do now is a complete wipe out of the
> hard drive without
> having to re install Windows. Can any of you
> recommend a good clean sweep
> program that would allow me to install SBS 2003 from
> scratch? I'm not sure
> if the SBS 2003 has to be installed on top of
> Windows or is self contained
> with it.
>
> I did have the Server working with it's web site on
> the Internet and
> internal Mail functioning properly but the system
> was very slow and
> indicated a lack of memory. The payoff came when the
> President of the School
> tried to access the Server with an old password and
> the system locked the
> Administrator out. [I was given express control over
> the server and changed
> the password at my discretion--but now , due to the
> unauthorized hack, I can
> not get back to the Server Management Active Files].
> He learned his lesson
> and I'm left with a mess. However, there is no
> pressure on me except from
> myself to get it up and running again.
>
> I am hoping to re partition the Proliant 3000
> according to the tutorial. I
> do know that the previous Administrator did not
> download the necessary
> updates as suggested in the tutorial.
>
> There is hope in the not to distant future of
> obtaining a new server but of
> course as some of you stated, cost is the factor.
>
> Again, thanks for being there
> Harv

> Exchange Newsletters:
> http://www.msexchange.org/pages/newsletter.asp

> Report abuse to info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Phil Newberry
Computer Network Engineer Consultant
MCSE NT&2000, MCP+IIS CNA, CAN

Your destiny is in your hands.  Just do it.

Just $16.99/mo. or less.
dsl.yahoo.com