Re: Open-Exchange

  • From: "Tiago de Aviz" <Tiago@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 09:15:29 -0300

I also like Exchange 2003 very much. When I see the opportunity to sell
it, I always will. Geez, there's no easier implementation on Earth! The
problem comes that when you Want to use Exchange 2003, you fall into a
licensing pit. There goes Windows 2003 licensing, CAL's, Exchange
server, exchange CAL's... (and no maintenance here included! If you
want, pay SA and add 1/3 more to each licensing cost.

I prefer to implement it on networks that are already running Windows
2000 or 2003, or else it's really hard to convince the buyer otherwise.

Novell, for an example, introduced Novell Linux Small Business Server
which comes with SuSE Enterprise Linux 9, eDirectory, GroupWise, Novell
Linux Desktop 9 and much more stuff. The licensing cost with this
solution here in Brazil can be eight times more cheaper than a Microsoft
SBS solution.

Well, in the US it may not be a problem, but when the currency comes to
2,5=1 things get tough on our side ;)

My 2 cents!

Tiago de Aviz
SoftSell - Curitiba
(41) 3340-2363
www.softsell.com.br

Esta mensagem, incluindo seus anexos, tem caráter confidencial e seu
conteúdo é restrito ao destinatário da mensagem. Caso você tenha
recebido esta mensagem por engano, queira por favor retorná-la ao
destinatário e apagá-la de seus arquivos. Qualquer uso não autorizado,
replicação ou disseminação desta mensagem ou parte dela é expressamente
proibido. A SoftSell não é responsável pelo conteúdo ou a veracidade
desta informação.

>>> jmedeiros@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 21/7/2005 20:17 >>>

http://www.MSExchange.org/

Boa Dia,

From your email domain it appears that you are Brazilian ( I am
Portuguese ).  I haven't run open Exchange and I am sure that it is a
very good product,  I really do not know of any company's in my area
that are running it so I personally can not give you any feedback.
However the Linux users list may be the best place to ask such a
question, try www.svlug.org, they have a pretty active list on such
topics and some very opinionated Linux Gurus that are always eager to
give you there two cents ( Most are good guy's and gals )

What I have run and can give you my opinion is on the email client that
I  have had my Linux users use.  Ximian connector for Ximain's Evolution
works great to connect to my Exchange 2003 server that I supported at a
previous company with out any issue's.
http://www.novell.com/products/desktop/features/evolution.html

I have to admit, Microsoft did a really nice job with Exchange 2003.
Is Exchange really that expensive?

Jose Medeiros
Former Vice President and Postmaster NTEA
MCP+I, MCSE, NT4 MCT
www.ntea.net
www.tvnug.org
www.sfntug.org