Open Mail Relay - Exchange 5.0

  • From: "Richard Pettigrew" <Richard@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 14:39:43 +0100

Hi there, I need some advice on closing and open mail relay.

The difficulty I am facing is that it is Exchange version 5.

The server in question is an old SBS 4.0 server.

The setup is as follows:

Single server with one netcard.
Private IP Address 10.x.x.x range
Cisco801 router on 10.0.0.1 - router is using NAT

My question is this; how do i configure Exch 5 to only allow specified smtp
server ip's to connect to it?
But if the NAT on the router translates all incomming addresses on port 25 then
surely the exchange server will only ever see the originating address
connecting to it as that of router's internal address.

If this is the case, then should I bee looking at getting a hardware firewall?
(as well as obviously upgrading the exchange server!)

all comments gratefully appreciated.

Richard Pettigrew
Harkins & Anderson Ltd