RE: Offline address book

  • From: "Chris Wall" <Chris.Wall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 11:42:01 -0400

I had this EXACT error during my migration from 5.5 to 2003....

I was also noticing that users on the 2003 environment could not view
the address book...

The fix for me was simple -

-          First, in ESM view the properties of the server where your
OAB is located

-          Go to the Directory Access tab and verify your DC's that are
listed are Global Catalog servers

-          If they are listed correctly (based on your environment) this
indicates that the DC's most likely have not been rebooted since being
set as Global Catalog servers...

-          ( I know this sounds a bit weird, and I did not agree with
Microsoft Support at first)  The GC DC's MUST be rebooted after set as a
Global Catalog.  A setting is not updated until a reboot occurs.

-          Reboot each GC DC (at separate intervals)

-          Once each GC DC is back up, rebuild the offline address book

-          Login to outlook and verify that you can view the Address
Book and errors on the Exchange Server no longer appear...

Hope this helps.  Your users will not notice any outages during the
reboot of the DC's.  Keep in mind that my DC's are on separate servers
from my Exchange Servers.

Worked like a charm for me...

Regards,

  _____