RE: New Server for Exchange 2003 & ISA

  • From: "Mark Hippenstiel" <M.Hippenstiel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 20:53:59 +0200

Hi Koie,

I agree with the others about the hardware setup: use a PIII-class box
for ISA, and properly dimensioned servers for app/exchange purposes. As
to the distribution of services, I'd use a 3 server setup as well, for
different reasons.

Isolating the firewall from other services does not only enhance the
inherent security of the box, it also gives you some independence from
the every day network business for maintenance, troubleshooting and the
like. Further, by adding redundance, you distribute the possible
points-of-failure more evenly which I regard as a very good argument.

Exchange does need a good deal of resources (depending of course of the
specifics of your setup and environment), and if you're planning to use
OWA I would add an extra few percents to the calculated specs.

Cheers
Mark