RE: New Exchange 2003 server in existing AD/DC environment

  • From: "Andrew English" <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 10:26:30 -0500

Mohammed method is not the correct one. You can do it if you want but you will
only be sorry down the road. There are two methods which work best and they are:

1. depending on how many users are going to have, I think you said already 350
you can always have your client buy a monster machine, dual P4 XEON's 3.0Ghz
1Meg or higher, 4GB of RAM or more, and a very nice SCSI RAD system, not to
mention your NIC.

You would install Windows 2003 Standard or Enterprise (if standard doesn't
manage your hardware needs) server first then:

1. install all the crucial windows updates
2. install VMware GSX Server (you could also use ESX Server with the above
hardware)
3. setup a VM session for Win2k3 Standard with the settings you need make it AD
(DC)
4. install all the crucial windows updates
5. run dcpromo and convert the server running in a VM session to AD (DC).

Create a new VM session for your Exchange and do the following:

1. install all the crucial windows updates
2. install VMware GSX Server (you could also use ESX Server with the above
hardware)
3. setup a VM session for Win2k3 Standard with the settings you need make it EX
4. install all the crucial windows updates
5. join the server to the AD (DC) like you join your workstations.

Take the Exchange CD and pop it in the CDROM drive then on your AD (DC) run the
following commands.

1. setup /forestprep
2. setup /domainprep

On your EX VM session run Setup off the same CD and your done. The thing to
remember is that you MUST run "update /forestprep" and "update /domainprep" on
the AD (DC) with Exchange SP1 before installing it on your EX machine.

As for how much resources to give your AD and EX VM machines. For offices that
are 5 to 10 users you can setup AD on 256MB RAM, and 4GB hard drive, EX on
512MB RAM, and 4GB hard drive.

The other method is to have two physical machines, one for AD the other for EX,
it will probably cost you more in the end to buy two servers than it would to
buy one monster server and run GSX or ESX from VMware on it.

Regards,
Andrew