Name resolution (RPC over HTTPS)

  • From: "Mustafa Cicek" <mbcicek@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 03:51:33 -0600

Hi!
I have front-end / back-end Exchange 2003 installed on Windows 2003. I
have the following server names in my network:

Front-end Exchange: exchfe.mydomain.com
Back-end Exchange: exchbe.mydomain.com
Global Catalog/Domain Controller: w3kdc.mydomain.com

I use for the RPC over HTTPS connection the common name owa.mydomain.com.
I created also the certificate for this common name. This name points to
front-end Exchange Server ip address. Also I defined host header
owa.mydomain.com on IIS for my site.

After many trobleshootings I can connect now successfully to Exchange
using RPC over HTTPS .
But the name resolution is strange if I connected to Exchange. I defined
on client computer as Exchange server the name owa.mydomain.com. But after
the client connected to Exchange, the name changes to exchbe.mydomain.com
on the client machine. Why does this behaiviour occur? I don't want that
the other external persons connect directly to my back-end Exchage. In
this case back-end Exchange is not secure during RPC over HTTPS
connection.

Best Regards