NAS Backup/Recovery

  • From: "Eric Lanyon" <ELanyon@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 16:58:48 -0800

On topic, but a bit off topic...

Looking at doing a major network-wide upgrade on the servers.  I have
several remote offices each with a single server with tape backup
connected locally and are connected to the corporate office via frame
relay.  I am going to be replacing those servers to Win2003 and am
considering looking at a NAS solution.  I am concerned about how
Exchange will act.  Basically I want to take the server, back it up to a
Storage Server via the WAN at the corporate office.  So say User A needs
a file restored from 5 minutes ago, I can push the change from the
Storage Server to the remote server and voila all done.  I found a
company that will do what I want...I think, NSI Software (Double-Take
program).  I'm still investigating options and worst-case
scenarios...server blows up how do I restore it and Exchange to make it
all happy, etc.  With this program the Storage Server is supposed to act
as the local server so the users won't even notice the outage.  I know
the initial setup would create tons of traffic, but that'd be on the LAN
and it would eliminate the need to having tapes swapped at the remote
locations, etc.  I am sure that product would be nice for files and
such, but not sure about email quite yet.  Might need an add-on or
separate program to do that part....  Has anyone done this or anything
similar?

TIA

eric