Multiple SMTP relay servers

  • From: Chris Wall <Chris.Wall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 12:21:49 -0400

Hello all,

  I am in the process of implementing a second SMTP mail relay server (using
IIS 6) for my Exchange 5.5 organization.

  The SMTP mail relay server is going to be running GFI MailEssentials and
MailSecurity.  (not that important of a detail, but one worth mentioning).

  I would like to find out if anyone on this list is running a similar setup
and any pointers they may have.  I am having difficulty planning an
environment that will allow Exchange to automatically switch over to the
secondary SMTP server should the primary fail.  In 5.5, if the primary SMTP
relay server fails, exchange will not know about it and mail will simply
queue up in the IMC.  Is there a way to have Exchange force mail to a
separate IMC connected to another SMTP relay server if the queue passes a
set limit or if the relay server goes down all together?  Of course this
will not be an issue for mail coming into the organization, only for mail
destined to external addresses.

  I am curious as how others may have their SMTP relay servers setup for
redundancy.

Thanks for any info!  (hopefully no rants will come from this post :)

Regards,
Chris