[ExchangeList] Re: Multiple Exchange Front End NLB VS DNS

  • From: Vincent <vorgueil@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 22:10:38 -0800 (PST)

I tried both solutions and the NLB based solution is the best, watch out I create a seperate VLAN with IGMP allow to not flood my switch as a whole.

Environment: 40k users, 5+2 and 4+2 clusters, 4 FE on NLB (2+2)

Irwan Hadi <ihblist2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
http://www.msexchange.org
-------------------------------------------------------We decided to install a secondary Exchange Front End for our email
system. Currently we are serving both OWA and RPC / HTTPS.
Out of curiosity, what is the method deployed the more with multiple
Exchange front End... using Microsoft Network Load Balancing service,
or using DNS based?

Using DNS based basically is creating a CNAME record that points to
multiple A records, eg:
webmail.mydomain.com IN CNAME exchange-fe1.mydomain.com
webmail.mydomain.com IN CNAME exchange-fe2.mydomain.com
exchange-fe1.mydomain.com IN A 192.168.1.3 TTL 900
exchange-fe2.mydomain.com IN A 192.168.1.4 TTL 900

I prefer to use DNS based because this will be the easiest and
"cleanest" to implement. But the question is what will happen in case
in the middle of an OWA or RPC/HTTPS session the DNS entry
webmail.mydomain.com change from exchange-fe1 to exchange-fe2 ?
Will user need to re-authenticate again?

Thanks