Re: Moving to Exchange for the first time

  • From: Tee Darling <tee.darling77@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 11:59:34 -0500

Matt,
  First of all, I'll congratulate you of what you're doing for the
school. Your server hardware configuration is "kind of okay" since
Microsoft recommends not having more than 5000 users on an Excahnge
server.

From experience, I would suggest that you buy six or more SCSI
harddrives 72,000 RPM (72,000 RPM drives turn out to be faster than
15,000 RPM). Now I know you would ask why 6 or more drives. Right? The
answer will be how you'll configure the Exchange server. Lets say you
have 7 disks in the Excahnge server: you will configure 2 disks as a
RAID 1 for the OS and where you will install Excahnge files. Two more
disks will be configured as another RAID 1 for where you'll store
Exchange transaction logs. The remaining 3 disks should be configured
as RAID level 5 for your Exchange database files (Users emails). It's
always advisable not to store the transactions log file and the
database files on the same drive or partition. You configure your
exchange in this way for performace.

I know budgets are tight in your case, but if you explain this to the
top officials in the school, they will somehow  try to come up with
some more money for the IT Dept to get a better Exchange server for
the school. I hope this will help you while you're still getting
advise from the MSExchange list.

Tony