RE: Moving Exchange2000 to a new server.

  • From: "Gabrie van Zanten" <gabrie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 09:01:46 +0200

Hi

I have been doing the same a few days ago. Although I ran into problems when
replicating the public folder store. On the end, I exported the public folders
using Outlook to a PST file and imported into the new server.

The moving of the user mailboxes is a piece of cake. And a tip: When users now
have a connection to their mailbox on server A and you move their mailbox to
server B, keep Exchange on A running for a while, because, when a user make a
connection, his outlook will want to talk to A, but A tells them to connect to
B. If A is no longer active, users would report errors trying to connect.

An article which is of very good use:
XADM: How to Remove the First Exchange 2000 Server Computer from the Site
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307917

Goodluck !!!
Oh and do create a backup and try to test in a test-environment...... .(VMWare
is great for this)

Gabrie