[ExchangeList] Re: Migrating AD users from offsite server to new server

  • From: "Irwan Hadi" <ihblist@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 23:39:43 -0600

http://www.msexchange.org
-------------------------------------------------------You are basically
talking about AD and Exchange migration to new
forest where you need to bring the user object from the old domain
with their SIDHistory and migrate their mailbox after that.

Anyway, why don't you write more about your environment:
- Do these 1000 users have an AD account at the new onsite server you have?
- Do you have domain admin privileges at the hosted server? If so,
that's good since now you can migrate the AD users from the hosted
site over with their password to the new onsite server, and followed
by Exchange migration.

If you don't have a domain admin privileges at the hosted server (the
hosting provider creates the account, distribution list, etc. for
you), then you have to recreate all these users one by one at your new
onsite server, go to each individual computer to export users Outlook
into PST, recreate a new Outlook profile, and import the PST into
Exchange.

Another problem for you will be the domain name. Will your onsite
server and the hosted site use the same domain eg: @company.com or
will they use different domain?
If they use different domain, then things will be a lot easier as you
can create contact as a temporary measure for the users who haven't
been migrated to your new system (unless you can migrate 1000 users
and go to their computers to re-setup their Outlook profiles) in one
night.

Lastly, how big is the budget for this project? If you have at least
around $40,000 to dump, you can try to use Quest Migrator for
Exchange. Bear in mind eventhough Quest Migrator for Exchange and AD
will cost I think about $60 per migrated user, they will NOT sell you
their software unless you can pay them I think at least $30,000.
Even if you only want to migrate 100 users (should only cost you
$6,000) they will say no, as they will insist that their consultants
must come onsite to analyze your environment.

On 5/9/06, exchange@xxxxxxxxxxxx <exchange@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
http://www.msexchange.org

I have a situation where an exchange server and AD are running on a hosted
server somwhere in the states with about 1000 users in the AD.  I now have a
new server onsite with a different domain name and was wondering if anyone has
any suggestion on how to move the 1000 users from the old AD to the new one (I
am pretty sure a backup and restore of AD will not work in this situation).

thanks alot,