Re: Jacked up Exchange server!!!

  • From: Matt Dillingham <mdilling@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 12:22:07 -0400

Alfonso-

yeah, it might seem drastic.  it does kinda (at 1st glance) to me too, but in
this case, that is really the only way to fix the whole problem.  what
effectively has happened (as far as i can tell) is that exchange installed, but
not all the way into AD, and the AD connectivity problems are BECAUSE of the
DNS problems.

removing exchange wont fix the DNS problem, but it will remove the bad exchange
install.  the reason that exchange must be removed manually is because the
normal uninstaller believes that it needs to remove objects from AD, but of
course, it cant connect to AD because of the DNS issues.  (which is really the
heart of the issue)

consequently, until the DNS issues are resolved, any further attempts by marvin
to reinstall exchange will result in the same outcome.  it could potentially be
possible to fix the DNS issue, and then attempt to "repair" the exchange
installation, but i dont know for certain if this would actually work. (and
since marvin was not working in a test environment, i didnt want to recommend
something that might not work or potentially screw something else up)

...so anyway, i guess what i am saying is that uninstalling exchange wont fix
(or break) DNS at all.  but removing exchange, fixing DNS, then reinstalling
will definitely eliminate the problem that marvin was seeing, leaving him with
a working installation.  exchange 2000 relies heavily on AD, and AD relies
heavily on DNS (so some of the systems are pretty interdependent).

fortunately, it sounds like marvin got his problems sorted out anyway.
however, if someone else has had experience with this type of issue and knows
of a better way, i would be interested to hear about it.

-matt
 Matt Dillingham                        Systems Administrator II
           University of Michigan, Bioinformatics