RE: Installing a second Exchange 5.5 server in our DMZ

  • From: "Mulnick, Al" <Al.Mulnick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 15:04:28 -0500

You're missing the supporting infrastructure (and the costs associated) such
as the domain controller, wins, etc.  If you have the hardware for the
Exchange server, why not use the OS as a relay and forgo the installation of
Exchange?  That would be cheaper IIRC.

Performance is another issue to contend with.  Exchange 5.x is significantly
impaired compared to the throughput of the SMTP server.

Al