Installing New E2K3

  • From: jeff@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 18:56:16 -0700

I'm in the process of installing a new E2K3 into an existing W2K domain. I've
installed W2K3 and E2K3 and have the box ready. I've waited for this for awhile
since my existing domain is really screwed up. The W2K domain had/has 2 DC's
and one member server with 40 clients. When I run dcdiag on either DC, there
are numerous errors, but the biggest one is that when it performs the fsmocheck
it tells me that a primary dc could not be located. The server holding the PDC
role is down and ulitmately fails. This happens on both DC's. When I attempt to
use ntdsutil to take a server down through the metabase cleanup command, that
too fails on both DC's(or whatever they are).

What I'd like to do is just build this new W2K3 domain up from scratch but I'd
like to retain as much info as possible from the existing AD and Exchange MBX.
I haven't tried to exmerge yet, but is that the correct path to take? Will I be
able to merge that data into a newly formed domain using W2K3 and E2K3? Any
suggestions out there?

Thanks

Jeff