RE: Initial setup enquiry.

  • From: Danny <nocmonkey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 11:09:11 -0400

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 02:31:19 -0600, Nick Kirby <nick.kirby@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> http://www.MSExchange.org/
>
> Umm, hokay. I'll be honest and admit that this is a pant browning moment.
>
> I get the non static IPs for the router. No problem there - that I could
> probably manage. Probably.
>
> Question is...how does that then equate to an exchange server sending and
> receiving email? Sorry chaps, I know everyone is being really helpful, but
> you're olympians and I'm more of a family bike ride.
>
> Assuming I have No-IP set up, and NOIP knows where I am, and my internal
> network is using say niknet.org as my domain name, and my exchange server
> is sending mail for niknet.org (internally), who gets the DNS information?
>
> getting stuff out is relatively easy, as once a packet is forwarded to the
> "outside" then it's out, but people knowing where to get back in worries
> me. Does the FQDN then have to be public?
>
> Start again - if I use my public FQDN for my internal network of ten or so
> machines, yet put those on private addresses (192.X) will I still be able
> to send and receive email using SMTP, and, crucially allow other people to
> send me email to the public email address (which, in theory it would be as
> it'd be globally visible yet hidden).
>
> I do a lot of thinking aloud.Sorry. All thoughts gratefully received.

Here are some basic steps on how to accompish what it sounds like you
are looking for:

1.) Register a domain (e.g. example.com).
2.) Have your ISP or DNS Host provider (see my links in my previous
messages) host your DNS for example.com, then log into your control
panel at the company where you registered example.com, and point the
DNS to the servers your DNS provider has specified.
3.) Download and install all the latest patches for your server,
configure complex passwords, and disable unessential services on your
Exchange server.
4.) Setup a recipient policy on the Exchange server for the domain
your registered.
5.) Setup your router/firewall and forward ONLY port 25 to the IP
address of your Exchange server
6.) Have your ISP or DNS provider point the MX record for your domain
to the public IP of the router connected to your Exchange server.
7.) Send test email messages from an external email system (hotmail,
etc.) to your new domain
8.) Setup your Exchange SMTP settings -> Smarthost -> and point it to
your ISP's mail server

I don't know if your ISP blocks port 25, or several other variables,
so I would recommend going through my steps and write back if you
encounter problems.

...D