RE: Initial setup enquiry.

  • From: Danny <nocmonkey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 10:00:24 -0400

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 23:27:11 +0100, Nick <nick.kirby@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> http://www.MSExchange.org/
>
> I've been thinking about that. I could then bung that on the router.

Yes, a static IP would be nice, but it's not necessary. If you can
afford it, then totally go for it.

> Trouble is, my connection is very much home based, and I will be moving soon
> for a year at least (so a sensible person would argue why on god's green
> earth do I need an exchange server) which is a good point, but it's a bit
> like a hill - because it's there.

You are allowed to do things which might not seem sensible to outsiders. :)

> When I move I fully intend to sort out these SMTP issues, as I am
> considering going with demon.net who provide one anyway. In the meanwhile
> some research shows that I could use a free version of GFI mail essentials
> 10 to pop3 from my generic ISP (this account) email, and go SMTP later on.

What SMTP issues are you having? Did my post make any sense?

> I want to get my head around DNS, mainly because I tihnk I am making it more
> complicated than it is, and understanding makes things easier.

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/dns.htm
http://www.dnswiz.com/dnsworks.htm
http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=how+does+dns+work&meta=
etc...