[ExchangeList] Re: IMF config

  • From: "John T \(Lists\)" <johnlist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 10:24:58 -0700

George, while Jim has already discredited your view, I will chime in here as
well.

I am heavily involved in e-mail servers and the war on spam. I can tell you
very firmly that it is not standard practice to require a valid RDNS for
both the reason that is stated by Jim and others and also for the reason
that presence of a PTR means nothing in the war on spam. Just because a
sending MTA has a PTR for its IP means didly-squat. Just look at the virus
infected home computers and laptops that are acting as robot relays spewing
millions (or is it billions now) of spam per day. You know what, probably
90% of them have a PTR record for their IP address.

The best anti-spam software are those based on a weighting system. (Guess
what, bayes based/type systems are at the root a weighting system.)
Generally speaking, those are configured to give no more than 25% of a hard
fail weight to the lack of a PTR record, and nothing meaning no negative
weight to the existence of a PTR record.

John T

eServices For You

"Seek, and ye shall find!"