RE: IMC fault tolerant method

  • From: Rich Tibbets <rtibbets@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 10:17:15 -0400

Neil,

Thanks for the suggestions.

Regards

Rich

-----Original Message-----
From: Neil Hobson [mailto:Neil.Hobson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, August 21, 2003 4:37 AM
To: [ExchangeList]
Subject: [exchangelist] RE: IMC fault tolerant method

http://www.MSExchange.org/

The IMC is rubbish for this.  It's an EDK gateway and not a true connector;
as a result, the MTA always sees the IMC as 'up' or 'available', and will
continue to route messages to it even if the service is down.  Worse still,
once the MTA has put the messages into the queue, no re-routing will take
place - the MTA considers its job done.

The options I can think of:

1. Implement a cluster for the IMC on a dedicated bridgehead server.  We've
done this for some customers, and it does work well.  But it does add cost,
complexity, etc, to the environment.

2. Implement a warm standby server for your IMC server, which covers for the
failure of the system backplane, etc.

3. Upgrade to Exchange 2000, and use the SMTP service there, which includes
superior link state checking, etc.

HTH,

Neil

  _____