RE: How to erase the Queue e-mails ?

  • From: "Mark Dewell" <M.Dewell@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 10:19:36 +0100

Obviously the recommended way is to use Exchange System Manager to clear
queue items, but.....

.... You can get at the messages as individual files in
c:\Exchsrvr\Mailroot\vsi 1\Queue (assuming you accept default location when
installing Exchange 2000. Don't know about earlier versions). You will need
to stop the SMTP service before attempting any copy/delete operations as this
service holds the files open. I do recommend that you take a copy before
deleting.

If you are asking because of a virus problem, I have a script that will check
subject headings and delete selected files containing the target string(s).
This would quickly remove infected messages while leaving 'good' messages in
the queue folder. Let me know if you would like a copy of this.