How the mail authentication happens ?

  • From: "Manjeet Singh" <Manjeet.Singh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 01:36:39 -0700

Hi,

I have confusion related to mail authentication.

I have a exchange forest - when mails are coming from external domain
(from yahoo, hotmail etc) where is the authentication happen?

I have no problem is sending and receiving mails.

Now I have created a new forest and create Trust between two forest,
create SMTP connector between two forest and I am able to resole DNS
properly.. But the mails are bouncing back, say you do not have
permission to send to this domain.

Now the solution is give a user sends as right and adds that user to
outbound security in SMTP virtual server of remote forest. So do this
for both the forest.

Now my question why this is required??

There should be no difference between whether a mail is coming from a
remote exchange forest or from yahoo account. Both should be consider as
external users.

So how my Exchange accept the mails from Yahoo and not from another
exchange forest???

I hope I am able to put my query properly.

Thanks,

Manjeet