[ExchangeList] Re: How do you split up datastores

  • From: "William Holmes" <wtholmes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 12:40:20 -0500

Hello,

That kind of depends on what you are after:

Do you want frequent backups and fast recoveries? If so then you should
consider limiting the size of the stores to accomplish this.  Another
consideration is your actual hardware configuration. How many disks (by which
I mean windows disk volumes not the number of spindles you have). It is best
to have only one store per disk otherwise if you have a hardware failure you
loose multiple stores. The number of users in a store depends on who those
users are and weather or not you limit their mailbox size.  You should also
consider database maintenance when setting up your stores. If you can't
complete online maintenance because your backup times run to long the you
need to consider smaller information stores.

Do you have a service level agreement with your users?  If so then you should
configure your store so that you can meet the promised level of service.

Our account creation process includes the SLA for the user and places their
mailbox as appropriate.

Bill