Re: How do you connect Email Clients on the Road

  • From: Danny <nocmonkey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 16:04:01 -0400

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 08:18:22 -0700, Knutsen, Vicki <vickik@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> http://www.MSExchange.org/

> I have tried with my boss to get him to use VPN and it is the grumpiest
> experience for him.  He gets kicked off and I cannot track down why -
> Sometimes it works - sometimes not. . . He is an old AOL user and I am trying
> to get him off that.

-Do you have a support contract with your firewall/VPN? I know it's no
fun, but you should debug the VPN system and find out what exactly is
going wrong.

-Spend a couple of hours with him and move him away from th AOL way of thinking.

> But does anyone have a solution that works for POP3 that can get to a server
> anywhere
> in the US?

You could find a provider with HTTPS based webmail, and:

-Upload his contacts to the webmail (like Gmail for example, I can
send you a free invite)
-Forward a copy of his Exchange email to this GMail account (with 1GB
of storage)
-Have him use it on the road

> We tried an EDGE card and that was tooo slowwwwww. . . I really need a
> solution for this guy - he lands in places where the internet connection if
> iffy at times.  We have not tried POP3 because the server situation changes
> wherever he goes and he needs the simplest solution so he doesn't have to
> change things frequently - but I have not used POP3 that much so I am
> thinking I may have missed something in the training.

More reason to use a system which is not downloading all his email via
POP3 from your system.

Hope this helps.

...D