Re: Hosting mail for part of a DNS domain

  • From: "Iain Gray" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 13:35:23 -0000

At the moment, all of the Internet mail is hosted as POP3 on the head office
server (a Cobalt Qube).  I then use the POP3 connector for exchange to
retrieve the mail. Incoming mail is not a problem.

The problem occurs because the primary SMTP address for the branch office
site is set to @company.com.  This means that for all addresses of format
name@xxxxxxxxxxx, the exchange server only looks locally - it will not
forward them out to be delivered with the rest of the remote SMTP email.
However, if i change the primary email address to e.g. @company.local, the
exchange server stops sending mail out at all, and the "reply to" field in
any emails sent out will be incorrect.

Iain