Help required connecting 1 exchange 5.5 and 1 2000 server

  • From: milind.kale@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 02:45:59 -0700

Hi all,

I have a problem connecting 2 servers within the same site. One of them is
our old exchange 5.5 server and the other one is one which has exchange
2000.After installing w2k on a new server and then running setup with
/forestprep and /domainprep I installed a new exchange 2000 server. This
was installed into an existing exchange 5.5 site.The exchange 5.5 admin
program recognises the 2000 server and true vice versa as well. After this
I tried moving a user's mailbox onto the new 2000 server and this worked
fine. However when I try to send a mail from a user on the old server to
this user it comes back straight away with a message saying "A required
directory operation was unsuccessful". After this I moved the mailbox back
to the old server it works fine. Also I tried creating a new user on the
exchange 2000 server and the user appears in the GAL. But when I try to
send a mail from the old server to this user it comes back with a message
saying "The recipient name is not recognized". I have checked out the
service account permissions as well as done a RPC Communication check
which is successful. Within the same server i.e e2k to e2k users I can
send email.

Also this new e2k server is registered on our internal DNS as a mail
exchanger but not on any external DNS. If I send a email to the user on
his external address based on the e2k server it comes back undeliverable.
The e5.5 server is registered on the external DNS. Do I need to make any
changes to achieve this?

Any help on this would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Milind Kale