RE: Hackers!

  • From: "Walkowiak, Matt" <Matt.Walkowiak@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 08:37:16 -0500

I'd check the IIS settings, namely the FTP part.

This is also a good time to talk about how incredibly dangerous it is to
stick a Windows server (or any OS for that matter) live on the internet.
The fact that you have a bunch of mp3's is probably the least of your
worries.  When your consultant setup your server, did he or she make
sure to apply ALL the patches?  Download and run hfnetchk on that server
ASAP.

One thing you have to remember about Windows OS's is that they are
designed to be Departmental Intranet servers that have connections to
the Internet - they are NOT designed to go live on the Internet without
major tweeking.  Check out this site - the NSA crated a 110 page
document about securing a windows server...

http://www.trustedsystems.com/tss_nsa_guide.htm

Also, how much do you trust your consultant?  If he or she had any
brains at all, they would know that this server is indeed live on the
internet, and they also have the administrator password :-)  When you
are looking at the FTP settings, make sure the home folder is still
C:\Inetpub\ftproot, and that there are no Virtual FTP folders hanging
out there that someone (the consultant) may have setup...

As far as a firewall, what I would do if I were you is get one and get
one NOW.  Unless you are doing something very complicated, you don't
need much more than a WatchGuard SOHO.  For 500 dollars US, you can have
your network 100% more secure in minutes.  As far as the cost of the
firewall?  How much is your time worth to fix whatever problems are
caused by having a default Windows server live on the Internet?

Matt Walkowiak