RE: HTTP&RPC

  • From: "Greg Mulholland" <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 16:24:35 +1100

They are both different protocols all together

type the following into google and see for yourself:
define:http
define:rpc

But if i read the question right, you want to know how they come
together..RPC traffic is tunnelled over HTTP traffic in order to allow
RPC programs like outlook to connect to an exchange server, sitting
behind a firewall. Why you may ask, because generally opening RPC
endpoints on your firewall is a bad idea.

Greg Mulholland
ATM is for banks!