GFI Mail Essentials 11 - NDR's and SMTP Mail Queue

  • From: Jason Davis <JDavis@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 11:57:26 -0700

Hello all,
I thought I'd send you a quick note regarding my findings today:
This issue may have been a "no-brainer" for you guys, but I rebuilt my
original GFI server yesterday (Mail Essentials 11) and tested the SMTP
gateway for a few hours to keep an eye on the queues - no problems. Then, I
installed the latest build version for Mail Essentials 11. When I got home,
I decided to check the GFI server remotely to see how the queues were doing.
I found a lot of emails piling up in the queues as well as 1000's of emails
piling up in the Badmail folder! Yikes!!! After scratching my head for a few
hours and doing some research online, I proceeded to disable a feature which
I had implemented in the GFI software for each SPAM filter. The feature
involved sending back a NDR for each SPAM filter (under the "Other" tab -
"Generate Non Delivery Report <NDR>). Each SPAM filter (i.e. SPF, Bayesian,
etc, etc.) had that option checked! Once I unchecked that option for each
filter, I had to delete the mail in the Badmail folder and purge the SMTP
mail queue.  Well, I've been running GFI since that change and my queue is
purging fine and there have been NO emails in the Badmail folder. Alas, I
think that that was causing my problem this past weekend!
Does that make sense to you guys? I'm sure it's a lack of knowledge on my
part, but I didn't realize that generating NDR's would cause my mail queue
to get "backed-up" as well as creating thousands of emails in my Badmail
folder. I could see how this would bring the GFI server to its knees after a
while. Does anyone have that option checked to "Generate Non Delivery
Reports"?? If so, how are your servers handling it? I'd be very
curious......
It seems to me that GFI would not put that option in its software, if it was
going to cause such a problem? Hmmmm.........
Thanks for any comments, in advance!
--Jason Davis