RE: Fwd: This is a test message

  • From: "Spencer Read \(Nemesis\)" <ser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 16:09:33 +0100

I'll tell you what I think (but I am NO expert!)

50Gb of data with an SLA of 2 hours - how long does a full backup take?
Also, look for Arcserve's technical support about how to restore a
server.

This would panic me because you have to (might have missed some steps
but bear with me)
1 - possibly replace hardware (if you have got it there already!)
2 - reload OS and Backup agent
3 - restore System State backup
4 - install Exchange in DR mode
5 - restore exchange database

I recently did something similar on Win 2000 and Exchange 2000 using
Ntbackup on a local tape drive, Twin P4 Xeons and 2 Gb ram.
Took over 5 hours from start to finish for a 7Gb database.

Personally, I would suggest you setup a cluster of some sort or get some
sort of real time replication software onto another server because if
something nasty goes wrong, it will take you longer than 2 hours!

Hope this helps (in some small way!)

...Spence

________________________________

        Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 06:25:03 -0700 (PDT)
        From: Praveen Ramaswamy <ramaswamy_praveen@xxxxxxxxx>
        Subject: [exchangelist] Disaster recovery for Exchange 2003 :
Clarification
        To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

        http://www.MSExchange.org/

        Hi,

        I want few clarifications with respect to Exchange backup. I
have Exchange 2003 SP1 running on Windows 2003, Hardware Dell 2850 with
Mirroring for OS and RAID 5 for exchange database, LTO (10 Slot
autoloader) tape drive is connected to backup server and backup is taken
over LAN, Arc server backup software (11.0)

        I went trough the Disaster recovery planning and operations
guide from MS, however I am not able to understand how exactly "restore
the server" method works!!

        Taking full system backup is fine, but what is the exact
procedure to restore in case of a system crash. It seems obvious that
windows 2003 OS & backup agent needs to be freshly installed (in case of
a failure) and then only I can restore from backup. But if I do so OS
will not allow overwriting of system files!  Is "restore the server"
only for Exchange 2003 application???? I am not clear because document
says "Windows 2003 full computer backup set" what exactly this means??

        Can some one please explain me how "Restore the server" works.
Also please let me know the best backup policy for a 50 Gb database and
a SLA of 2 hour down time in case of major failure.

        Regards

        Praveen R