Front-End / Back-End

  • From: "Mark Budman" <mbudman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 08:57:49 -0400

Hello. I am in the process of planning a front-End / Back End scenario for our
Exchange system. Currently, we are running Exchange 2000 Enterprise on a
Windows 2000 advanced (non clustered) server.

I have some questions that I was wondering if someone might be able to assist
me with.

1.  Which server machine, Front or Back, should be more powerful?

2. We currently have in production a "Webserver", which hosts our Website. Is
it possible to make this machine also a Front End server?

3. Is it true an organization can have one front-End Server and several back
end servers (for different organizations / domains)? We want to have two
independent mail systems

4. How easy / difficult is it to migrate / move from our current structure of
one Email server to Front-End / Back End

5. Has anybody had experience with Front-End / Back-End? Any feedback would be
appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Regards,

Mark