Re: Forward all mail for Unknown Recipients to a certain mailbox

  • From: Danny <nocmonkey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 10:53:25 -0500

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 15:33:08 -0000, Spencer Read (Nemesis)
<ser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> http://www.MSExchange.org/
>
> I'm being leaned on from above as to what emails we are loosing because
> of errors in the to address!
> My thoughts are 'if they can't get the email address right then they
> shouldn't be using a computer' but I just wanted to know if other people
> did anything different.

To answer your question directly, you can start here:
http://hellomate.typepad.com/exchange/2003/08/exchange_catcha.html

To answer your question in the form of a suggestion:

1) Catch-all's are a spammers heaven
2) Not rejecting email to unknown recipients is very bad practice. How
are people suppose to learn if the continue to send email to the wrong
address?
3) The sender will clue in that they have the wrong address when they
receive an NDR

> Maybe I'll have to 'persuade' the bosses to continue to reject them!

This will be the long term solution.

...D