Fixing how outlook resolves old internal email addresses

  • From: "Tim Jordan" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 17:37:32 -0900

I changed a domain from company.org to company.local on a new clean SBS
2003 install this weekend.  I found that we have to go in and manually
edit the "shared" contacts (after importing into new server) that
contained staff email addresses as they were all still trying to go to
the old domain and failing.  This was an easy fix by just querying the
users name against the global address and then saved the corrected
contact entry.

Problem is now users are replying to old internal email and the replies
are failing:

"  The message could not be delivered because the recipient's
destination email system is unknown or invalid. Please check the address
and try again, or contact your system administrator to verify
connectivity to the email system of the recipient."

The confusing part of it is that the clients mail domain is still
company.org - I just changed the internal domain name to
company.local...  In AD users email addresses are showing as
company.local and company.org.

Advice anyone?  Can anyone explain what Outlook is using as the source
of the senders address when replying to these old emails based on the
old global address book?  It seems like it's using something other than
just the senders smtp address like maybe the ldap properties..

Thanks,
TJ