[ExchangeList] FYI : ORDB Shutting Down and new Worm

  • From: "Chris Wall" <Chris.Wall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 10:12:05 -0500

ORDB Shutting down (NEW) <http://isc.sans.org/diary.php?storyid=1950>

Published: 2006-12-18,
Last Updated: 2006-12-18 22:46:03 UTC by Toby Kohlenberg (Version: 1)

the Open Relay DataBase <http://www.ordb.org/>  announced today that
they will be shutting down <http://ordb.org/news/?id=38>
http://ordb.org/news/?id=38
Please don't send us rants on whether you loved or hated the ORDB, we
have an automated tool for doing that. HOWEVER, if you are a mail admin
and you have been using their database for your blacklist, you'll want
to stop doing so. To quote the site:
" DNS and the mailing lists will vanish today, December 18, 2006. This
website will vanish by December 31, 2006."

Wes,

Skype worm (NEW) <http://isc.sans.org/diary.php?storyid=1952>

Published: 2006-12-18,
Last Updated: 2006-12-18 23:54:28 UTC by Toby Kohlenberg (Version:
2(click to highlight changes)
<http://isc.sans.org/diary.php?compare=1&storyid=1952> )

We are hearing some details of a new worm spreading via Skype IM, it
appears to be using a custom (or at least unusual) packer and the
network traffic appears encrypted as well. Please send us any info you
might have on it.

Thanks for the responses, we do know about the Websense blog post.

http://isc.sans.org/