RE: FW: Exchange 5.5 to 2003

  • From: "Tiago de Aviz" <Tiago@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 10:16:06 -0200

Hey Chris,

Why can't you put the 2003 machine on the NT 4.0 domain? It would save
you a lot of hassle. Instead of doing witchcraft, why not walk the same
way everybody does when migrating? ;)

If the application that is critical can be run only on NT 4.0, let it
be. But it won't know the difference if the domain is on a 2003 server
or if it is on a NT server. That's transparent...

Otherwise, you'd need to route all SMTP mail to the new 2003 server
configuring the IMC to deliver mail on the 2003 server. However, once
this is done every mail that is addressed to your company will go there
unless configured otherwise. There are ways to configure that, if a
recipient can't be found on one server, it'll forward the message to
another. In Exch2k that's cool. But I've never done it in 5.5.

I'd walk the migration path... it's transparent, easy as moving
mailboxes between servers, and won't affect your application.

Tiago de Aviz

  _____