FW: Exchange 5.5 to 2003

  • From: Chris Wall <Chris.Wall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 23:39:36 -0500

I guess this was a stupid question?  No replies or ideas...

Thanks,

Chris

  _____

Hello all,

   I am on a fact-finding mission in preparation for an Exchange upgrade to
occur later in the year.  I was wondering if any of you can provide some
insight.

Information: [in the form of a Microsoft Certification question :-) ]

   You are the administrator of an NT 4.0 network....  Currently our North
America operations has 3 main NT 4.0 domains that are all connected via
trusts.  The exchange infrastructure is Exchange 5.5.  We have one Exchange
Organization and 3 different Exchange Sites (one for each domain).  Due to
mission critical services that are ONLY compliant with NT 4.0, the current
Corporate HQ domain can not be upgraded to AD.  Instead, we are planning on
creating a New seperate AD domain to be hosted in the HQ datacenter (so
there will be one NT4.0 domain and a Win 2003 AD domain hosted from the same
site).  Slowly we will move users over to the new domain and leave their
accounts active on the old NT 4.0 domain until the services can be replaced
with 2003 compliant applications...

Questions:

   If I implement Exchange 2003 in the new domain, could I configure it to
use the same domain (@globalknowledge.com) as the existing Exchange 5.5
infrastructure?  I guess my main question is - is it possible to create
trusts between the new AD domain with the old NT4.0 domains so that mail can
be received by Exchange 2003 and routed to mailboxes that currently exist in
the Exchange 5.5 setup?  Vice Versa, I would like to have any e-mails that
are created on the exchange 5.5 mailboxes in the remote locations to be sent
out through the new Exchange 2003 setup - until the remote domains can be
brought in as OU's or the domain has been upgraded to 2003 AD as well.  Is
this where the ADC comes into play?

  I appreciate your reply and any information that would point me to an
upgrade path similar to this.