RE: FE/BE vs standalone

  • From: "Mulnick, Al" <Al.Mulnick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 12:33:05 -0400

Boot from SAN is something that you should use Windows 2003 for and be very
careful to align the stars of configuration details to make sure it is all
supported/recommended.  Risky?  No more than booting locally really outside
of the extra configuration details you need to be aware of.  Check with your
SAN vendor and specifically the HBA vendor to find out what's required etc.

FE/BE is designed for scalability.  Doesn't sound like you really need
scalability.  You *could* do it with one server.  FE servers also offer some
advantages if you need to provide some services on the internet such as OWA,
OMA, AS, etc that you can't get with just a standalone server.

Depends on what you want to do whether or not you need a FE server.

Al