Exmerge question

  • From: "A. M. Salim" <msalim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 04:37:17 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

I am moving some users from an Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2003
installation.  The two sites are geographically distant and belong to two
different companies, on different networks with no trust relationships
between them and none feasible.  So my only option is to export the users
to PST files using Exmerge from the old server on to a USB drive, ship the
USB drive with PST files by snail mail (Fedex actually) and then use
Exmege at the other end to import them.

The AD and OU trees are quite different between the two organizations.
For example:  in the old server all users were under the same OU.  In the
new server, there are several OU's and the users are spread between the
OU's.  It is not feasible to change the OUs in the new server to match the
old sever's AD tree structure at all.

I ran Exmerge and see the following.  Only the MAILBOXES.TXT log file is
generated, and it has the following lines in it, one per user:

##~This file was generated by ExMerge.exe
/O=ABCD/OU=FIRST ADMINISTRATIVE GROUP/CN=RECIPIENTS/CN=USERONE
/O=ABCD/OU=FIRST ADMINISTRATIVE GROUP/CN=RECIPIENTS/CN=USERTWO
/O=ABCD/OU=FIRST ADMINISTRATIVE GROUP/CN=RECIPIENTS/CN=USERXXX

And Exmerge announces "Success: 0, Failures: nnn" i.e. all users failed to
import.  I have "Send As" and "Receive As" perms set OK and can do exports
and imports on the new server OK i.e. export a mailbox, import it back on
the same server.

Are there any tricks or settings I have to do here because the OUs are
different between the old and new servers?  Any other differences I need
to be concerned with?

TIA!
Mike Salim