RE: Exchange replication

  • From: "Mulnick, Al" <Al.Mulnick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 08:35:04 -0500

I'd use the Microsoft clustering for that.  It's not fault tolerant; it's
highly available, but it sounds like that is what you are pretty much after
based on the solutions you're looking at.  MCS is really good at hardware
abstraction such that if you lose a piece of hardware on one node, you get
the benefit of a failover.

I recommend using Windows 2003 vs. Windows 2000.  You get improvements in
memory handling and clustering that are well worth it.

As for the hardware you have, you have to figure out if it's on the cluster
HCL as a solution.  Be careful not to just look at parts, but rather look at
the whole solution for recommended/tested configurations.

MCS was designed for the situation you mentioned.  It comes with the OS and
will work well in that situation.  From what I can tell, you have an expense
regardless of the solution: software replication or MCS, as well as a
learning curve either way.  For the requirements you've shared, I think that
MCS would be a better long term bet. Especially on Windows 2003 server.

Another poster had mentioned using a NAS, SAN, or other shared disk.  You
cannot use a NAS device that I'm aware of.  There was some promise of the
iSCSI NAS being tested, but otherwise Microsoft hasn't supported NAS devices
in the past for very good reasons (IMHO). There are many cluster in a box
solutions out there from major vendors as well as small SAN products that
can do what you're after if you're looking to do this on the cheap. EMC
partners with Dell for example to sell a low end SAN/Clustering solution.
HP has similar.  Etc.

Keep in mind that clustering (third party or MCS) is not a fault tolerant
solution.  It is a highly available solution that allows you to quickly
recover from a hardware failure.  It does not protect you against corruption
etc.  It basically acts like a stand-alone server and then fails over when
told or an event causes it to.  That's another advantage: you can perform
hardware maintenance or software upgrades (hotfixes, service packs) with a
lot less downtime because you can fail over the node and perform the
maintenance to the passive node while clients continue to operate.  The
trade-off?  It's a little more expensive and takes a bit more effort to
understand and read the docs prior to deployment of initial software load
and upgrades.  Otherwise, it works well from what I've seen.

Al