RE: Exchange Server Redundancy

  • From: "Tiago de Aviz" <Tiago@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 20:06:13 -0300

Sure, i'm using it right now. I also have many customers using it for
replication of SQL Server databases, Oracle databases, IIS web servers, file
servers... It's an outstanding product. It's based on the ARCserve technology,
but it basically does replication tasks from one server to the another in
real-time, and runs scripts that are built-in in the application in the case of
a failure.

It requires a special communication link between the two server (get yourself
two nics and a crossover cable), and it detects failures when the service on
the two machines can't talk to each other anymore. When it detects this
failure, it starts pinging addresses that you specify to ensure it is online,
or it can verify if the primary server is still alive via the COM port.

Primary server dead? It starts the Brightstor service, and the secondary server
starts answering as the primary, and noone notices what happened.

Well, it can scale to as much users as you want, it basically depends on your
hardware. All it does is database replication, Al. It doesn't know how many
users you have when it's replicating. It's just replicating the .edb file and
that's it. When the primary server crashes, it'll bring the exchange server up.
We always recommend having the same hardware on the primary and secondary
servers, to simplify things. But yes, you can have totally different machines
for this service.

Tiago de Aviz

SoftSell

(41) 340-2363

www.softsell.com.br <http://www.softsell.com.br/>

Esta mensagem, incluindo seus anexos, tem caráter confidencial e seu conteúdo é
restrito ao destinatário da mensagem. Caso você tenha recebido esta mensagem
por engano, queira por favor retorná-la ao destinatário e apagá-la de seus
arquivos. Qualquer uso não autorizado, replicação ou disseminação desta
mensagem ou parte dela é expressamente proibido. A SoftSell não é responsável
pelo conteúdo ou a veracidade desta informação.

  _____