RE: Exchange Server Redundancy

  • From: "Jason Merrique" <j.merrique@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 20:43:32 -0000

Hi Al,

Bit of a delay, but this is a reply to Al Mulnick and Sonny Willis
(Thanks for your input on this chaps, your expertise is very much
appreciated.)

The whole redundancy issue was brought up by management who (as always)
would like as near 100% uptime as is possible. As it happens, the
hardware failure last week only caused about 2 hours of downtime and
safeguards were put in place to insure that a repeat occurance would be
highly unlikely. My initial instinct was that it wouldn't be worth the
investment in additional hardware and licensing for the 99.999% (2 hours
in the whole year) to 100% improvement. So I'm left thinking that its
just not worth it.

So clustering and cloning may not be the answer. But I would like to
confirm - Is there really no way to replicate mailboxes between servers
using Exchange 2003? Doing this in the same fashion as Public Folders
would be excellent. Maybe allowing a simple redirection to the secondary
server if the primary falls over? Or is this just wishfull thinking on
my behalf!?

Sonny: I don't suppose you know how NeverFail copes with differences in
hardware and SIDs between the primary and secondary server? If its an
exact replica of the software on the primary, I'm not sure how the
Secondary would cope with this...

Thanks again guys,

Cheers,

Jason