RE: Exchange Server Redundancy

  • From: <paul_lemonidis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 16:50:24 -0000

Hi Al

There seems to be something missing here unless I am mistaken. A cluster only
has one set of shared drives. Hence why you use multiple RAID drives or arrays
with multiple controllers. Thus there are no replication issues etc. This is
also why failover can be so fast as the secondary machine/node (one is the
primary node, one the secondary as you probably already know) is already
on-line and using the same disk drives.

The software solution is not clustering as it does not use shared drives
between the two nodes. It is a co-standby server solution and this is not the
same thing at all. Instead the two nodes have independent drives that then must
be replicated in real time. This is a big overhead and hence a poor mans
solution at best. Also, of course, there can be well be replication issues as
you correctly point out.

Regards,

Paul Lemonidis.