Exchange Server 5.0 network traffic

  • From: "Carmine" <carmine@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 14:35:30 -0700

Hi Everyone,

I'm running Exchange Server 5.0 on WINNT 4.0 on my LAN. This is my
question/issue. About once a week my network utilization report on my
switch, shows a really high and steady network utilization occuring
(incoming & outgoing traffic) on the port where my exchange server is
connected.

I installed a packet sniffer to capture the activity. This helped me find
the culprit computer, which is not always the same. The only way I found
to stop the excessive traffic is by rebooting that computer. This is my
quick fix for now until I can decrypt the captured packets. The traffic
communicates between ports 1042, 1050, 1056 and are using DCERPC protocol.
Is this some type of message that keeps going into an endless loop?

As anyone ever encountered this problem, if so how did you solve it? Does
anyone know of other troubleshooting tools which can help me futher
decrypt this traffic.

Your help would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advanced,
Carmine