Re: Exchange Extensions

  • From: Danny <nocmonkey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 17:24:06 -0400

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 16:12:21 -0600, NPerez <nperez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> http://www.MSExchange.org/
>
> Can I allow and or restrict emails with attachments with certain file
> extensions through Exchange? If so, how?

"Out of the box" Exchange 5.5, 2000, and 2003 do not have this
functionality. You will need a third party software package such as:
GFI, TrendMicro's ScanMail, Symantec Exchange AV scanner, etc -- all
of the major AV vendors usually have Exchange AV solutions which
enable you to block and manipulate attachments.

As we continue with the server-side themes, you could also put a
Postfix based email server, for example, logically in-front of the
Exchange server, and easily set it up to reject specific attachments
before they get to the Exchange server. In fact, I have this setup -
works like a dream.

On the client-side, Outlook 200x has the ability to block attachments
from being opened. There is lot of documentation on the Internet on
how to set this up.

If you would like further information on the server-side stuff, let me know.

...D