[ExchangeList] Re: Exchange ActiveSync Error

  • From: John Parker <jp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 08:44:35 -0500

http://www.msexchange.org
----------------------------------------------------------Concerning your query
at the end of your missive...

1. Open up Systems Manager (Start -> All Programs -> Microsoft Exchange Systems
Manager).
2. Look for the "Servers" folder and drill down.
3. If you have a Front-End/Back-End (FE/BE) scenario like me you will have to
do this fix to both machines.
4. Drill down to the server you want and then to "Protocols HTTP Exchange
Virtual Server".
5. Once you have drilled down there, right click on the
"Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync" and click Delete.
6. Right click on the "Exchange Virtual Server", click New, and then Virtual
Directory.
7. Under Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync -> "Exchange Path" click "Exchange
ActiveSync".
8. Then OK out of it.

Otherwise...

---If you do have a virtual already set up...
    1. Right click on the virtual directory and click properties
    2. Uncheck "Enable anonymous access" in Authentification method

---Do you have any Alias IP's?  I have seen where... When these are in play it
can cause issues, if so, try removing them and see if that makes a difference...

---Do you have multiple IIS sites and if so, are you using host headers to
distinguish them? If so, try creating an identity with a blank host header.

---This issue may occur if one or more following conditions are true:

1. The authentication method is incorrect for the virtual directories that are
used by Microsoft ActiveSync.
2. The application name points to an incorrect entry in the Outlook Mobile
Access virtual directory.
3. The application name points to an incorrect entry in the
Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync virtual directory.
4. An incorrect application pool is associated with the virtual directories
that are used by ActiveSync.

---This problem can also be attributed to an Exchange situation involving
excessive items in the users' calendar. Refer to M842541 for hotfix.

Hope some of this helps

On 9/16/08 7:44 AM, "Mitul Zaveri" <mitul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi All:

One of our clients is running Exchange 2003 SP2 in Shared Hosting Environment.
The architecture includes the following

# Active Directory Server (Windows 2003 SP2) (1 No.)
# Exchange Server 2003 Enterprise Edition (SP2) (1 No.)
# BES Server 4.1 (Windows 2003 SP2) (1 No.)

Currently the requirements is to configure Exchange for Active Sync support to
sync with iPhone and other Windows Mobile Devices. Active Sync is configured
under Mobile Services in Exchange System Manager console. However whenever a
user is trying to configure and connect the mobile device to the Exchange
Server it is throwing the following error in the Event Viewer:
Event Type:   Error
Event Source:            Server ActiveSync
Event Category:        None
Event ID:       3005
Date:               9/15/2008
Time:              4:37:20 PM
User:               EXCH\Demouser
Computer:     EXCH001
Unexpected Exchange mailbox Server error: Server: [exch001.exchange.com] User:
[Demouser@xxxxxxx] HTTP status code: [501]. Verify that the Exchange mailbox
Server is working correctly.

I have gone through the particular Microsoft article at
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;937635 which describes
the same error. As a part of resolution we need to verify the existence of
virtual directories as mentioned in the article. However I don't find the
virtual directory Exchange-OMA in this setup which doesn't seem to be a default
directory.

Hence I am seeking answers for the following questions:
# Should we create a Virtual Directory Exchange-OMA?
# Is it Mandatory to support Active Sync?
# Will it have any effect on Shared Exchange Setup?

Just to add further Exchange-OMA virtual directory is created as a workaround
as explained at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817379

Thanks & Regards
Mitul Z