Exchange 5.5 security issue

  • From: ba_cruising@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 19:57:11 -0700

Hello;
I run Exchange 5.5 sp4 on Windows 2000 member server on our NT 4.0 domain.
 I had a complaint today regarding our HR person accessing someone else?s
mailbox.  I checked permissions within Exchange Admin and she does not
have the permission to do this.  Even when I check the Mailbox Resources
HR is listed as being logon to this other person?s mailbox.  She does not
know the admin password so how can she view someone else?s mailbox?  I've
checked all the permissions I know of within Exchage Admin and am baffled.

I also checked the person who suspects that HR is reading his email within
the Outlook client configuration to see if somehow he delegated this right
but the HR person is not listed within the Outlook as having permission to
his mailbox.

How can someone besides the Exchange Admin have permission to view someone
else's mailbox?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.