RE: Exchange 5.5 Back Up

  • From: Dêniz Feital (Chiptek) <dfeital@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 20:41:36 -0300

Hello.

Yes, you can do a remote backup as long as you have an Exchange Server
installed on it. At that way you will be able to perform a backup. Without
an Exchange Server installed on it, you wont be able to see the MS Exchange
Organization to perform a backup. I want you to know that I am not saying
you must install an Exchange Server in the server you have a tape drive, ok?

Also you can perform an off line backup. If you are able to stop your MS
Exchange server at night shift, you can schedulle a bat file to stop the
Exchange Services, copy the \exchsrvr diretories to another directory and
start the Exchange Services. After that, you can run the tape backup just
mapping the network drive, and backup the copied directory.

An offline backup, in my unprettentious opinion, is a great solution in case
you have to do a disaster recovery. But you only can do it if you have
enough room to backup the \exchsrvr directory and if you are able to stop
the services during the night for a couple of minutes.

Regards,

        Dêniz Feital

        GIC - Chiptek / Vésper

        Tel (11) 3489-7730