RE: Exchange 5.5

  • From: "exchange" <exchange@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 22:36:58 +0100

I no longer have a 5.5 at my disposal, so I can't check, but as far as I
remember there's not much you can do about it apart from implementing some sort
of 'blacklist' system, which will deny known spam relays emailing you. Because
the cause of so many NDR's is usually that the original message that triggers
the NDR is spam - that's why there's no recipient at your end - implementing
such a system might be a good idea. Take a look at http://combat.uxn.com/ for
some more info on spam related issues.

I wouldn't worry too much about the load though. The reason the queue builds up
is that the NDR's can't be delivered (the original senders address is fake),
your server will keep them in the queue and retry until the message expires.
It's usually not a huge load on the server. Of course, if you're worried about
it, run some performance counters on the server for a while and see if it's
actually bogged down.

HTH,
Örjan
                        From: Juan Ibarra [mailto:jibarra@xxxxxxxxxxx]
                        Posted At: den 28 januari 2003 05:03
                        Posted To: exchange
                        Conversation: [exchangelist] Exchange 5.5
                        Subject: [exchangelist] Exchange 5.5

                        http://www.MSExchange.org/

                        Hi all,

                        I have a spamming problem.  I have tried to understand
the reason why I am getting all this spam in my outgoing queue.  My server is
internal and port 25 is close on my FW.  I have a send mail server on the
outside that forwards all email to my exchange server on the inside.  The send
mail server is not an open relay, neither is my exchange  box.  I can't even
ping it from the outside.

                         Yet on a daily basis I get a lot of emails without
originator on my ques.  I have nothing check on my routing restrictions tab,
but I figured I don't need to because it is in the inside.

                        Hope one of you has an answer for me.

                        Thanks,
                        Juan
                        Exchange Newsletters: