Exchange 2k3 - Post Domain Rename

  • From: "C. Campbell" <pnc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2004 22:00:11 -0700

Hi,

Please excuse the length of this post but I figured it would be helpful to
be as descriptive as possible the first time around.  Heck, it might be a
nice break from arguments about server security :)

A few weeks back I undertook the domain rename procedure on a computer
running Exchange 2003 SP1 that is also a single DC.  I attempted to follow
Microsofts' instructions as strictly as I could (Exchange Domain Rename
Fixup & Windows Server 2003 Domain Rename Tools.)  In general, while I
wouldn't wish this procedure on anyone, it did work on my configuration.  My
DNS settings took a bit of adapting after the domain rename, but I doubt
that had anything to do with my Exchange setup.

Everything seems to be running great, users are able to send / receive
emails from both Outlook and OWA.  My server is acting normally, DNS and AD
are happy.  Then I decide that I want to enable external internet access
with SSL for OWA and turn on forms login.  Enabling SSL for OWA went
relatively smoothly thanks to some well written walkthroughs on
msexchange.org.  Turning on forms access should just be as simple as
clicking a checkbox in the properties for the Exchange Virtual Server for
the HTTP protocol.  Or so I thought...  Clicking this checkbox gives me the
following error:

The RPC server is unavailable.

Facility: Win32

ID no: 800706ba

Exchange System Manager

So, next I go look at the System events in the Event Viewer.  Low and
behold, I have generated 2 identical DCOM errors:

Source: DCOM

Category: None

Event ID: 10009

raptor.myserver.net using any of the configured protocols.

Here's where I start to get a bit nervous.  raptor.myserver.net is the old
server/domain name.  raptor.myserver.local is the new one...

I go back to Exchange System Manager and scour through it with a fine tooth
comb.  I'm figuring I missed something but after looking through every
possible dialog at least 3 times I don't see any references to
raptor.myserver.net.  Everything looks updated with raptor.myserver.local.
I did notice one strange thing.  Inside Tools/Monitoring and Status/Status;
There is an entry for Raptor, but it is listed as unreachable.  When I open
the properties it tells me that Default Microsoft Exchange Services is
stopped, when I drill down into that further, all of the services that it's
monitoring show that they are running properly (MS Exchange Information
Store, MS Exchange Management, MS Exchange MTA Stacks, MS Exchange Routing
Engine, MS Exchange System Attendant, SMTP, WWW.)  For some reason even
though everything is running, it thinks that they are stopped.

At this point I download the Exchange tools and decide to investigate
further.  Functionality wise, everything post domain rename has worked
great, with the exception of Exchange not letting me enable Forms based
authentication.  I install Microsoft Exchange Management Pack Configuration
and start going through the wizard.  At the point where I select my Exchange
server and have it verify connectivity, I get the following error:

The following servers were automatically excluded from the selection because
it was not possible to contact their Service Control Manager to obtain a
list of installed services.  Servers: RAPTOR.

This error starts to enforce my belief that Exchange's Service Control
Manager is incorrectly looking for raptor.myserver.net.

Next I run "dcdiag /v /c /fix".  Everything passes with the following
exception:

Starting test: systemlog

* The System Event log test

An Error Event occured.  EventID: 0xC0002719

Time Generated: 08/08/2004   20:24:08

Event String: DCOM was unable to communicate with the computer
raptor.myserver.net using any of the configured protocols.

An Error Event occured.  EventID: 0xC0002719

Time Generated: 08/08/2004   20:24:08

Event String: DCOM was unable to communicate with the computer
raptor.myserver.net using any of the configured protocols.

......................... RAPTOR failed test systemlog

Again I notice that DCOM is pointing to the old domain name.

Next I run "netdiag /v /fix".  Nothing fails here, but during a search for
"raptor.myserver.net" I turn up:

Registered Service Principal Names:

MSSQLSvc/raptor.myserver.local:2629

exchangeMDB/raptor.myserver.net

exchangeRFR/raptor.myserver.net

SMTPSVC/raptor.myserver.local

NtFrs-88f5d2bd-b646-11d2-a6d3-00c04fc9b232/raptor.myserver.local

DNS/raptor.myserver.local

HOST/raptor.myserver.local

HOST/raptor.myserver.local/myserver.local

HOST/raptor.myserver.local/MYSERVER

ldap/raptor.myserver.local/MYSERVER

exchangeAB/raptor.myserver.local

ldap/raptor.myserver.local

ldap/raptor.myserver.local/ForestDnsZones.myserver.local

ldap/raptor.myserver.local/DomainDnsZones.myserver.local

ldap/raptor.myserver.local/myserver.local

ldap/1c876100-b990-4df6-b0cf-5181468f5e49._msdcs.myserver.local

E3514235-4B06-11D1-AB04-00C04FC2DCD2/1c876100-b990-4df6-b0cf-5181468f5e49/my
server.local

exchangeMDB/RAPTOR

exchangeRFR/RAPTOR

exchangeAB/RAPTOR

SMTPSVC/RAPTOR

HOST/RAPTOR

ldap/RAPTOR

Notice the two entries, exchangeMDB and exchangeRFR are both pointing to the
old domain name.  I found reference to a command line utility that lets you
add/delete/list these Registered Service Principal names.  I attempted to
delete and re-add the entries for exchangeMDB and exchangeRFR but upon
reboot, something added them back in using the *old* domain name again.

So, here I am, searching for any reference to this old domain name.  I've
done text searches through all files on my hard drive, looked in the
metabase, searched the registry, looked through properties in DCOM Config
and I've found nothing.  My hunch tells me that I need to somehow
reconfigure DCOM to point to the new domain name but where I do that I have
no clue.

Does anyone have any hints on where I should look next?

Thank you,

Chris